The Rosemary Titus Reynolds Children’s Library in Joplin Public Library is proud to announce a new program for Children in 1st through 5th grade. The Maker Cart program is funded by the MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES and is offered on the first and third Saturdays of the month. Come use recycled materials to explore STEAM concepts!
November is always a fun CnC meeting that is BYOP (Bring Your Own Project) to work on while we discuss ideas for next years classes. Something you want to learn? A stitch you want to try? Something getting popular you think would be fun for us to try?
Be thinking about and looking for ideas to bring up during the meeting. If you can bring a picture of what it is.
In the past we have done quilting, embroidery, knitting, crochet, tunsian, needle felting, tatting, beading, book folding and many others. We will be meeting in Community Room – West, come join us.
As you can see JPL has finally “gone-live” with a new website! We’re excited to present it to you, because we feel there is so much information available on the website that will be of benefit to you. Our old website was more than a decade old and technology and websites have changed quite a bit in the past ten years. We ask for your patience as we complete adding information and materials to it. It should be much easier for staff members to add, update, and maintain content in a timely manner.
Explore the website to see all the hidden gems you were not aware are available.
This activity is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by the Missouri State Library, a division of the Office of the Secretary of State.
Joplin Public Library is pleased to announce that effective September 4, 2018 it accepts passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State.Â U.S. citizens planning international travel may apply for their passports seven days per week at 1901 E 20th Street, Joplin, MO 64804.
Applications are accepted 30 minutes after opening to one hour before closing seven days per week.Â Appointments are strongly encouraged to be sure adequate staffing is available to process the applications.Â Walk-ins will be accommodated ifÂ there is staff available, but no guarantees of this can be made.Â Appointments are the best and only certain way to be served. Library hours are M-Th 9am-8PM, F-S 9am-6pm, and Sunday 1-5pm.
Jacque Gage, Library Director says, â€œJPL is pleased to offer this service to the community, making passport applications available during an extended schedule.â€
For application forms, information on documentation required, fees, and a wealth of other passport and international travel information, visit the only official website for passport information â€“ travel.state.gov.Â Â A summary can be found here:
For faster service, complete the .pdf applications from the passport website, print out application, and bring it with you to your appointment.
As of August 1, 2018 Joplin Public Library patrons can borrow items from JPL without accruing overdue fines.Â In addition, JPL has erased overdue fines patrons previously owed.
The change should increase patronsâ€™ access to the more than 120,000 items in the library collection.
Patrons who have items that are lost, damaged, or simply not returned will still owe for those items, plus a non-refundable administration fee.Â If an account has to be referred to a collection agency to get items returned, a collection agency fee will also be charged.
Items received through interlibrary loan (ILL) will continue to accrue overdue fines as those come from the lending library.Â Fees will also apply when items are placed on hold but not picked up.
Library Director Jacque Gage says, â€œI hope this move will allow more people to utilize the library, as well as allow us to reconnect with former patrons who have not yet been able to enjoy the new library facility due to overdue fines.Â This will give a clean slate for those who just managed to return materials late.â€
Please contact Joplin Public Library at 417-623-7953 for more information about this.
Chat-n-Craft meets for free at the library every month, the 1st Tuesday, 5:30-8pm, in the Community West meeting room, working on all kinds of handwork and learning new projects. Come by and see what everyone is working on. We have newbies as well as advanced crafters in crochet, knitting, quilting, beading, whittling….so much more. We also have a blog to help stay up on patterns, ideas, meetings, comments.
Get started with using Overdrive on your device. Check their web page and look on the right side for the “Getting Started My Help!” section. Do you want to listen to audiobooks on your mp3 player? Do you have an eReader? (Kindle now does too) Do you want to read eBooks on your computer at home? All you need is your library card and set up your device following MoLib2Go instructions and you will be able to download and read/listen on your own device. You can check out up to five items for seven or fourteen days. You can also set your preference in your account.
If you own a Kindle click here
A step by step guide
- Go to Missouri Libraries 2 Go website.
- Click on Kindle Books in the menu.
- Find your item, either through browsing the listed items, or by using Search (in advance settings, select Kindle Book in the Formats dropdown). If you wish only to see titles that are available for immediate checkout, select Available now in the Availability dropdown.
- Borrow any available book(s).Â You may also place a hold on any item which has a link that says â€œPlace on Holdâ€.Â These items are currently checked out to someone else, and you will receive an email when it becomes your turn.
- After placing an item in your cart, you will have the option to continue browsing, or check out.Â When you are finished selecting items, click on â€œCheckoutâ€.Â This will take you to a page which asks for your home library.Â Select â€œJoplin Public Libraryâ€ from the list.Â Then, enter your library card number (with no spaces) and your pin number.Â If you do not know your pin number, please call the Library at 417-623-7953.Â Once the information is entered, click Sign In.
- After entering the required information, a screen will appear with a summary of the items you are checking out.Â Click â€œConfirm Check Outâ€.
- You should now see the â€œDownloadâ€ screen, with a button that says â€œGet For Kindleâ€ next to your items.Â Clicking on this button will take you to Amazon.com, where you can log into your Amazon account and retrieve your item by clicking on the yellow â€œget library bookâ€ button.Â You may select whether to transfer items to your Kindle, Kindle for PC on your computer, or any other Kindle compatible reading software offered by Amazon. If your Kindle does not have wi-fi, you may choose to “deliver via USB”. This will allow you to save the item to your desktop.Â You can then transfer it to your Kindle using your USB cord. Do NOT use 3G for delivery, it wonâ€™t work.
- Thatâ€™s it!Â Once items are checked out and downloaded to your Kindle, you may manage them, delete them, or return them early by using the â€œManage Your Kindleâ€ link at Amazon.com
You now have 2 options for placing your Holds.
- Log into your account. When you find something you want then Place Request. You will need to select the Pickup Library you want by hitting the down arrow on that line. JOPLIN PUBLIC LIBRARY is the normal Hold. You will come inside to pickup your Hold.
- OR you can select 24-7 Lockers. When you select the Lockers you will be able to pick your Holds up at the 24-7 Lockers any time, doesn’t matter if we are open or closed. Once you know your Holds are ready to be picked up you go to the lockers, just to the left side of the Entrance doors. Touch the word Checkout; either scan your library card or type your full card number in (starts with 2334). You will need to know your pin. Once you Accept your items, the locker door will pop open so you can retrieve your items. Close the locker and you can print your receipt and click Finish so the Lockers are ready for the next person to Checkout their items.
If you have any questions about our 24-7 Lockers, please stop at Circulation (to the right after coming through our Entrance, just after the book drop.)
1901 East 20th Street
Joplin, MO 64804
- Show n Tell – January 2019January 10, 2020 - 2:51 pm
- February 4, 2020 – Chat n Craft meetingJanuary 10, 2020 - 10:30 am
- Makerspace Closed for InventoryAugust 5, 2019 - 12:53 pm
- CALLING ALL WRITERS: 2019 JOPLIN WRITERS’ FAIRE REGISTRATIONAugust 2, 2019 - 11:43 am
- Route 66 – Highway to the StarsJune 5, 2019 - 2:56 pm