Schooling at Home — Learn More
Joplin Public Library mission includes providing for the educational and informational needs of all patrons. Learning will look much different this school year, regardless of whether that learning takes place at home in a homeschool setting, at home with remote learning, or in person at a school site. We want to help you navigate this process!
This webpage includes legal information, state standards, curriculum, networking information, and other virtual educational resources.
- Joplin Area Homeschoolers Group (Facebook)
- Classical Conversations Community Search
- Homeschoolers’ Network
- Families for Home Education: Statewide home school organization in Missouri featuring virtual and in-person informational sessions, legal resources, and more
- Help bring history to life with our Living History book list, a collection of exciting nonfiction history titles for grades 3-7
- Find more online and virtual library resources here.
Homeschool laws by state, according to the Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA)
- Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) — Missouri Course Access and Virtual School Program (MOCAP) Information and standards for Missouri’s statewide virtual school program.
- DESE — Show-Me Standards Brief document outlining Missouri’s overall educational standards and goals for students.
- DESE — Missouri Learning Standards Breaks down Missouri’s educational standards by grade and subject.
- DESE — Missouri Learning Standards-For Parents Provides a video, FAQs, and other information about state learning standards packaged for parents and guardians.
- Oklahoma State Department of Education — Oklahoma Academic Standards (OAS) General information about Oklahoma state standards plus a breakdown of standards by subject, including OAS Employability Skills.
- Kansas State Department of Education — Curricular Standards The state’s curricular standards divided by subject and links to detailed competencies for each content area.
- Arkansas Division of Elementary and Secondary Education — Curriculum Support Information about Arkansas educational standards grouped into subject “units”; scroll past the first 2 paragraphs to find the links.
LOCAL DISTRICT VIRTUAL INFORMATION
- Joplin Public Schools Online and Alternative School Links to the official website for district-sponsored online learning.
- Joplin Schools Online and Alternative School — Facebook Links to the official Facebook page for district-sponsored online learning. The Facebook page is very active and offers the most recent updates.
- College Heights Christian School — School Comprehensive Plan Page 10 of the document provides information on school-sponsored online learning options.
- Carl Junction Public Schools Links to district announcements page; scroll down for information on the re-entry plan, including district-sponsored online learning.
- Carl Junction Public Schools — MOCAP This is the official page for district-sponsored online learning.
- Webb City Public Schools — MOCAP This is the official page for district-sponsored online learning.
- Kansas Department of Education — Virtual Learning Main page for virtual learning information from the Kansas Department of Education; includes links to content area educational standards.
- Kansas Department of Education — Virtual Learning Families and Students Gathers basic information about virtual learning in Kansas; includes parent resources and a directory of accredited virtual schools in the state.
- Oklahoma State Department of Education — Home School General information from the state plus resources from the state’s Office of Instruction listed by content area.
- Oklahoma State Department of Education — 2020-21 Instruction Support Designed by the Office of Curriculum and Instruction to support teachers and school districts, the resources include information which may be helpful to distance learning and homeschooling; includes “Distance Learning Guidance”, “Video Conferencing and Digital Instruction Guidance and Support”, and links.
- Arkansas Division of Elementary and Secondary Education — Home School Office Information for those homeschooling in Arkansas; links to additional resources are in the column on the right.
- Arkansas Division of Elementary and Secondary Education — Digital Learning Official information for digital learning in Arkansas; links to additional resources are in the column on the right.