Library Employment - Job Openings
The Joplin Public Library is seeking a full-time cleaning/maintenance person. Starting pay is $11.3333/hr., with an excellent benefits package. Day-time hours. Please see below for more details."
Apply in person at 300 S. Main St. until the position is filled. NO PHONE CALLS please.
Cleaning/Maintenance Job Description
Definition: Under general supervision, performs a variety of cleaning, building maintenance, and minor repair activities.
Essential Functions: Included in the essential functions listed below are attendance and dependability. No other position at the Library can do this work which requires the employee to be on the job. Other duties may be required or assigned in addition to those listed.
- Sweeping floors, stairs (inside and outside the building), entrances and other surfaces.
- Mopping floors, entrances and other surfaces.
- Vacuuming all carpeted areas.
- Cleaning and dusting furniture, exhibit cases, pictures, door trim, air vents, file cabinets, partitions, drinking fountains, shelving and other areas as assigned.
- Washing window sills, windows, mirrors, light switches, and kick plates.
- Cleaning and servicing restrooms, including cleaning toilets, urinals, and sinks and filling dispensers.
- Cleaning and servicing break room, including refrigerator, microwave and sink.
- Cleaning outdoor ashtrays.
- Collecting trash and debris and placing in containers or plastic bags, moving and placing trash in collection area for removal, replacing liners in wastebaskets and trash containers;
- Collecting and placing in containers all recycling.
- Reporting items that need repair and making minor repairs as necessary.
- Shoveling snow from entrances and some sidewalks; spreading ice melt.
- Using light and heavy (industrial type) floor machines and attachments.
- Scrubbing, stripping, waxing and polishing floors using heavy (industrial type) powered scrubbers and buffers.
- Shampooing rugs and upholstered furniture periodically using heavy vacuum cleaner and shampoo machines.
- Adjust, clean and oil cleaners and scrubbers as needed.
- Change brushes, pads, rollers, buffers, attachments and perform other equipment maintenance;
- Remove, wash and replace/repair blinds, washing ceiling fixtures.
- Use ladders and scaffolds as needed.
- Setting up/breaking down meeting rooms before and after meetings/programs.
- Minor electrical and plumbing repairs and maintenance including changing light bulbs and ballasts.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of general building cleaning and maintenance methods and practices.
- Knowledge of basic use of small tools and industrial floor equipment.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques for performing basic carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work.
- Skill in floor stripping and waxing.
- Skills in providing quality customer service.
- Skill in troubleshooting problems in heating, ventilation, air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical systems.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with library staff, trustees, and patrons.
- Skill in understanding and following complex instructions and directions.
- Ability to read and interpret instructions on use of cleaning supplies and equipment.
- Ability to function independently.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with supervisor as job requires.
- Ability to be accountable for tasks completed.
- Ability to use the Library email software.
Physical Requirements: Requires standing, walking, bending, squatting, pushing, pulling, twisting, carrying, and ascending and descending stairs and ladders. Must be able to lift a minimum of fifty (50) pounds. Manual dexterity needed to manipulate keyboards, phone pads, calculators, etc. Requires seeing and hearing.
Qualifications: Graduation from high school or G.E.D equivalent and experience equivalent to one full year of custodial and/or building maintenance and repair. Basic report writing and verbal communication ability required.