Library Employment - Job Openings
Teen Services Librarian -
Get in on the ground floor of a new adventure. Joplin Public Library is in the process of designing and building a new facility to be a community anchor institution within the area hit the hardest during the EF-5 tornado that destroyed one-third of the city in May 2011.
JPL is in search of a Teen Services Librarian. This is a professional position requiring supervisory abilities, wide familiarity with library procedures and the library collection, especially the teen collection. Supervises volunteers and temporary summer employee in the department as well as library floater position. Must have the skills to organize and conduct teen programs and social media posts in a professional manner.
The successful candidate will work with a team of other Department Heads and Library Administration to carry out the goals and objectives for the library district’s strategic plan. This is an exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Requirements of Position:
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited graduate program.
- Aptitude for working with the public, especially teens and their parents
- In-depth knowledge of teen literature and interest in a variety of subjects
- Has understanding of teens in their social, emotional, physical, and mental development
- Skill in application and interpretation of library policies and procedures
- Strong communication and public relations skills, both oral and written
- Must be able to maintain a cheerful demeanor under pressure
- High clerical aptitude, detail oriented and excellent keyboard skills
- In-depth knowledge of library automations sytem, basic comptuer programs, and the Internet
- Excellent grammar and telephone manners
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
Salary Range: $38,900 - $42,959 DOQ. JPL also offers a comprehensive benefits package of paid leave and paid holidays; health and life insurance; worker’s compensation; flexible spending accounts; and LAGERS (Missouri Local Government Employees’ Retirement System) benefits.
Start Date: November 1, negotiable
Submit cover letter, resume, and three references by September 30, 2015 to:
Jacque Gage, Director
Joplin Public Library
300 S Main Street
Joplin, MO 64801